Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
After 32 years in the military, I have become quite fond of S.O.S.. I'm the cook in our house, but I get breakfast cooked for me twice a year (my birthday and anniversary). My request is always the same--S.O.S. This is my wife's recipe--I love it.
- 1 lb ground beef or 1 lb jimmy dean's hot sausage
- 2 cups milk
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 -2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 6 slices whole wheat bread
- Brown the ground beef or sausage, drain and set aside. Be sure to season the ground beef with a little salt and pepper.
- Melt butter in sauce pan. Add flour and stir till butter/flour mixture is bubbly.
- Add milk, salt, and pepper.
- Stir constantly until thick and bubbly.
- Add meat and stir.
- Serve over whole wheat toast. Great over biscuits as well.
- Note: For an evening meal substitute chipped beef.
Very clear and simple recipe. I added 4oz of cream cheese, and about a tablespoon of onion and garlic powder when I made it; it not only added a slight creaminess, but also enhanced the flavors.
Made this with leftover corn beef. 2 tsp. salt is waaaaaay too much when making with sausage or ground beef. I used 1/2 tsp. because corn beef is salty already. Served over toast with poached eggs overtop.
WAY too much salt! i followed the recipe exactly and added 2tsp of salt, and it was inedible. maybe because i used kosher salt, but I would highly recommend cutting the salt in half (this is coming from someone who loves salt)<br/>Also, I like to hard boil an egg, dice it up, and add it right before you're ready to serve.