Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
After 32 years in the military, I have become quite fond of S.O.S.. I'm the cook in our house, but I get breakfast cooked for me twice a year (my birthday and anniversary). My request is always the same--S.O.S. This is my wife's recipe--I love it.
- Brown the ground beef or sausage, drain and set aside. Be sure to season the ground beef with a little salt and pepper.
- Melt butter in sauce pan. Add flour and stir till butter/flour mixture is bubbly.
- Add milk, salt, and pepper.
- Stir constantly until thick and bubbly.
- Add meat and stir.
- Serve over whole wheat toast. Great over biscuits as well.
- Note: For an evening meal substitute chipped beef.
WAY too much salt! i followed the recipe exactly and added 2tsp of salt, and it was inedible. maybe because i used kosher salt, but I would highly recommend cutting the salt in half (this is coming from someone who loves salt)<br/>Also, I like to hard boil an egg, dice it up, and add it right before you're ready to serve.
I haven't seen this recipe since childhood. My mother made it frequently except she used the grease from the hamburger instead of butter. Definitely comfort food that brings back childhood memories.
My husband's father used to make this for him when he was a kid. He hadn't had it since he passed away over 17 years ago. He kept bugging me to try and make it, and finally I found this recipe and gave it a try. He absolutely loved it. Said it was just like his dad's. Kids liked it too! Thanks!