Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Great chili for a cold night.
- 1 lb pork sausage
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can condensed French onion soup, undiluted
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup water
- In a large saucepan cook meats until no longer pink.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cook and stir for 10-15 minutes or until thickened.
My husband LOVES this chili, even asked me to make it alternating times with my own recipe! It is very hearty and thick. A heavy on th emeat chili that would also be wonderful as a topping for a chili dog. I did add about 1 teaspoon of garlic powder and about 1/4 teaspoon gropund oregano to this recipe. Instead of plain kidney beans I also used a can of chili hot beans. I'd also like to point out that this chili tastes perfect from the moment it is finished, unlike some chilis that benefit from a "sitting" period to meld flavors. I know this one will be repeated often as you cannot get any easier than this!
This was good chili! I did make a couple of changes that probably didn't alter the taste too much. Instead of a can of french onion soup, I added chopped onion to the meat while it was cooking and then added a can of beef broth along with the other ingredients. I also added 15 oz. of tomato sauce instead of the 8 oz. and I omitted the salt. I'll be making this again.
The whole family loved this, especially my husband. My chili powder was a hot version so I only used 1 tablespoon. I really liked the use of sausage in this, instead of the standard ground beef.