1/5 Photos of Sausage, Onion and Portabella Mushroom Quiche
1 hr 5 mins
Diana #2's Note:
At one time quiche was considered a 'sophisticated' dish, served at well to do luncheons. My how things have changed. Now a regular weekday meal in many homes, quiche may contain ingredients from the exotic to the ordinary. Here's a new version I hope will find a place in your collection. Created for RSC 16.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup corn, flake crumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 cup sweet Italian sausage, ground (will cook down to 3/4 cup)
- 1/2 cup sweet onion, finely diced
- 3/4 cup portabella mushroom cap, sliced 1/4-inch thick, then chopped
- 1 cup swiss cheese, shredded
- 5 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/4 teaspoon dried whole thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chives, chopped
- 1Preheat oven to 350*. Lightly spray a 9" deep dish pie plate with cooking oil and set aside.
- 2Mix the corn flake crumbs with the melted butter. Using the back of a spoon, press into the bottom (not the sides) of the pie plate and bake for 5 minutes. Set aside.
- 3In a medium sized non-stick skillet, fry sausage until cooked and browned. (Mashing with a fork while cooking, will make it crumble nicely.) Drain the sausage on several paper towels, and set aside.
- 4Wipe the skillet dry using paper towels. Add the mushrooms and onions, and fry until the onions begin to soften. Dry frying will bring out the flavour in both the onions and the mushrooms. Toss with 3/4 cup reserved sausage and sprinkle over the cornflake crust. Top with shredded cheese.
- 5Mix together eggs, cream, thyme, salt and pepper. Carefully pour this mixture into the pie plate, so as not to disturb the crust. Sprinkle with chives.
- 6Bake at 350* for 35 minutes or until set and beginning to brown around the edge. Cool for 5 minutes before cutting.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sausage, Onion and Portabella Mushroom Quiche
Serving Size: 1 (109 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 223.8
- Calories from Fat 142
- Total Fat 15.8 g
- Saturated Fat 8.6 g
- Cholesterol 191.5 mg
- Sodium 225.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 12.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
sweet Italian sausage