Recipe by KP in Canada
I felt like cooking today but didn't know what, so my husband suggested something with a rose sauce, which he loves. So, I thought about it, and decided to make this up as I went. I was worried it wouldn't taste good (because I usually follow a recipe), but it turned out incredible! I'm sharing it with those who aren't too concerned about their waistline.:) You can add bell peppers, if you like.
- 1 (9 ounce) bag frozen cheese tortellini
- 1 Knorr parma rosa sauce mix
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine, divided
- 1 1⁄2 cups skim milk
- 3 hot Italian sausages, sliced into 1 cm. medallions
- 250 g sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄2 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese (or more)
- 1⁄2-1 cup Ritz cracker crumbs
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring a pasta pot of salted water to a boil. While waiting for the water to boil, heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Fry sausage slices on both sides until brown; remove them from the skillet. Place in a large mixing bowl.
- In the same skillet, saute mushrooms for 2 minutes, then add onion, and sauté for an additional 2 minutes, until mushrooms have rendered their liquid and onion has softened. Remove from skillet, scraping any sausage bits that remain, and place in the same bowl as the sausage.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cook tortellini approximately 7 minutes; drain and rinse. Place in the mixing bowl.
- While tortellini is cooking, melt 1 tbsp of butter or margarine in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Add milk and sauce mix, stirring constantly until well combined. Continue stirring frequently until sauce comes to a boil; reduce heat and continue stirring until thickened, about 1-2 minutes.
- Pour sauce over everything and mix with a spatula until well combined. Place in a greased casserole dish, and sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Top with mozzarella cheese, then crushed Ritz crackers.
- Melt remaining 2 tbsp butter or margarine in the microwave for about 30 seconds, and drizzle over the crumbs.
- Place in the oven for 30 minutes until golden brown on top; let stand 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!