Prep 40 mins
Cook 0 mins
Not your usual Italian sausage sandwich. No peppers or tomato here! Good as an appetizer too. Or a snack for the football game. Oh, I suppose one could add some sauteed red/green pepper chunks and/or fresh tomato chunks but then there goes the unique quality of this recipe. This was a Prodigy recipe, back in its heyday.
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage link (or hot)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup beef broth
- 1 teaspoon dark brown sugar (don't forget this)
- Cook sausage, then slice and brown lightly.
- Heat oil in skillet. Add mushrooms, onions and garlic. Cook, stirring frequently, until tender.
- Add broth and sugar. Bring to boil. Add sausage slices, reduce heat to low and simmer 10 minutes.
- Serve on buns.
- OR serve with toothpicks as an appetizer.