Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
Spicy and hearty! Clears your sinus every time.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb andouille sausage, sliced (or more italian sausage)
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage, sliced (or sweet Italian)
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 sprigs fresh oregano
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup carrot, chopped
- 8 ounces white mushrooms, sliced
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 quarts chicken stock (I like a smoked stock) or 2 quarts turkey broth (I like a smoked stock)
- 1 quart water
- 1 lb lentils, rinsed and picked over
- salt and pepper
- Put your sausage in the freezer until firm enough to cut, usually about 45 minutes, slice into 1/4 slices In a large dutch oven, heat olive oil and brown both sides of sausage slices.
- Depending on your pan you may need to do it in several batches.
- Remove sausage from pot and place in a paper towel lined bowl to drain.
- place chopped onion in hot sausage fat, salt and stir occasionally until tender and fragrant, add garlic and stir for another 2 minutes.
- Add remaining chopped vegetables and herbs and more salt.
- Continue to stir until veggies are coated in fat and have started to give off their liquid.
- There should be enough moisture in the veggies to cause the pan to deglaze.
- Add tomato and stir for a couple minutes.
- Add browned sausage, stock and water, bring to a rolling boil and reduce heat to maintain.
- Cook for 15 minutes, or until celery and carrots are tender.
- Add lentils and cook until al dente, 15-20 minutes longer.
- Don't over cook the lentils, they will finish cooking the last few in the bowl.
- Serve with a grating of fresh Parmesan and crusty bread.