Recipe by Amy in KC
This breakfast casserole is fabulous - the cream of mushroom soup and sausage cooks up to taste like sausage gravy. I've never had so many compliments on a breakfast casserole before! This is best when prepared the night before and baked the next morning.
Top Review by baumer64
This is the closest I've found on this site to the recipe I've used many times. We make this for our school staff before Christmas Break and they all love it.
We use 6 eggs and don't mix milk with the soup. Just gently spread the soup over the top with a rubber spatula. Haven't tried the can of mushrooms before but will be trying them this Christmas morning.
- 1 lb hot breakfast sausage (browned & drained) or 1 lb mild breakfast sausage (browned & drained)
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 4 eggs
- 8 pieces white bread (torn into pieces)
- 1 (4 ounce) can sliced mushrooms (drained) or 1 (4 ounce) canfresh sliced mushrooms
- 2 1⁄2 cups shredded cheddar cheese or 2 1⁄2 cups colby-monterey jack cheese
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
Directions See How It's Made
- The night before baking, prepare the casserole and the next morning prepare the topping and bake.
- Place torn bread in 9x13 baking dish. Top bread with browned and drained sausage and mushrooms. Sprinkle shredded cheese over the sausage and bread.
- Mix 2 cups milk, eggs, and mustard. Pour egg mixture over the cheese and sausage.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Before baking, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Mix the 10 3/4 oz can of cream of mushroom soup with 1/2 cup milk and pour over the casserole before baking.
- Bake 1 to 1-1/2 hours in 350 degree oven.