Casey Foxy's Note:
Not your typical biscuit mix sausage cheese balls, I developed this recipe as a starting point for a variety of tasty tidbits wrapped in butter-rich cheese pastry.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Combine flour and grated cheese in workbowl of food processor with mixing blade.
- 2Gradually add just enough butter, teaspoon by teaspoon, using pulse mode, until dough forms a ball, and is not crumbly.
- 3Reserve cheese pastry.
- 4Cut each frozen, cooked sausage link into 4 equal pieces.
- 5While still chilled, wrap each with enough of the cheese dough to form a walnut-sized ball.
- 6Preheat oven to 350.
- 7Place prepared sausage cheese balls on ungreased baking sheet, (about 20 per standard baking sheet), and bake 10-12 minutes, until golden brown.
- 8Do not overcook.
- 9Cool just a few minutes on paper towels before serving.
- 10Variations: Be creative with fillings, which could include small, cooked meatballs, button mushrooms, cocktail olives, cubes of ham or bacon.
- 11Vary the cheese, using Muenster, Monterey Jack, Gouda, Swiss or other favorites.
- 12The basic dough and sausage make this salty enough that unsalted butter is best here.
- 13You may flavor dough with dillweed, sage, thyme, cracked black pepper, curry or chili powder or experiment adding small amounts of deli mustard and the like.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sausage Link Cheese Balls
Serving Size: 1 (70 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 357.2
- Calories from Fat 207
- Total Fat 23.0 g
- Saturated Fat 11.4 g
- Cholesterol 58.4 mg
- Sodium 346.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 0.2 g
- Protein 12.6 g