Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 12 mins
Not your typical biscuit mix sausage cheese balls, I developed this recipe as a starting point for a variety of tasty tidbits wrapped in butter-rich cheese pastry.
- Combine flour and grated cheese in workbowl of food processor with mixing blade.
- Gradually add just enough butter, teaspoon by teaspoon, using pulse mode, until dough forms a ball, and is not crumbly.
- Reserve cheese pastry.
- Cut each frozen, cooked sausage link into 4 equal pieces.
- While still chilled, wrap each with enough of the cheese dough to form a walnut-sized ball.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Place prepared sausage cheese balls on ungreased baking sheet, (about 20 per standard baking sheet), and bake 10-12 minutes, until golden brown.
- Do not overcook.
- Cool just a few minutes on paper towels before serving.
- Variations: Be creative with fillings, which could include small, cooked meatballs, button mushrooms, cocktail olives, cubes of ham or bacon.
- Vary the cheese, using Muenster, Monterey Jack, Gouda, Swiss or other favorites.
- The basic dough and sausage make this salty enough that unsalted butter is best here.
- You may flavor dough with dillweed, sage, thyme, cracked black pepper, curry or chili powder or experiment adding small amounts of deli mustard and the like.