Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
A hearty, healthy and good tasting soup. Without the sausage and with the vegetable bouillon it can be a vegetarian or Lenten meal.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 10 baby carrots, chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 2⁄3 cup dry lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1 (6 ounce) bag baby spinach leaves
- 4 cups water
- 4 teaspoons chicken bouillon or 4 teaspoons beef bouillon or 4 teaspoons vegetable bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme, crushed
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, with basil
- 1⁄2 cup ditalini
- 1⁄2 package hillshire Little Smokies sausage
- In large kettle or dutch oven add oil and saute the chopped vegetables,except for the spinach and tomatoes, until tender.
- Add the bouillon and water and heat until the bouillon is dissolved.
- Add the lentils and the spices, and cook until tender on med-low heat.
- About 30 minutes.
- When lentils are tender, add the tomatoes, and Little Smokies and simmer covered for 30 minutes.
- Add the Ditalini pasta and spinach leaves and cook until pasta is tender.
- Serve with a crusty bread and hot sauce to taste.
Really good! I skipped the zucchini and used chicken broth instead of bouillon. I also used rotel tomatoes to give it a kick. This soup is so simple and delicious I will be making this again for sure. Thanks for posting!
I LOVE this recipe!!! I was searching for a way to use the spinach that I got from my CSA since I'm not a huge fan of spinach. This recipe was so wonderful that I'll actually be BUYING spinach from now on! My grocery didn't have little smokies when I went - too close to Christmas, I guess - so I used little polskas and, and I've said before, it was GREAT! Thanks for such a healthy, hearty, yummy soup!
Delicious! I used all chicken broth for this and omitted the cubes, I used smoked kielbasa sausage instead of little smokies as did Chef Erfolg, increased the garlic, and added crushed red pepper flakes for some heat, this soup turned out simply wonderful, yes total comfort food served with crusty rolls, thanks for another winner Carole, DH and myself enjoyed this soup last night for dinner!...Kitten:)