Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Here's something to warm 'em up after a shift in the deer stand waiting for the big buck OR those charming Christmas carolers on a frosty night OR for a tail-gating menu before a big football game on an autumn afternoon.
- 1 lb ground meat (combine beef, sausage, venison, turkey)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled & chopped
- 1⁄4 cup diced green pepper
- 1 -3 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 6 chicken bouillon cubes (*)
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 -2 cup spinach, chopped or 1 -2 cup swiss chard
- 3⁄4 cup lentils, dry
- 2 tablespoons butter (optional)
- sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- Saute meats, rinse & drain for "lowfat" serving.
- Add veggies & cook until onion is transparent. Add 8 cups water *or use equivalent amount of chix broth* and everything else EXCEPT lentils, butter and cheese.
- Continue cooking covered, simmer for at least one hour on stove-top OR transfer to crockpot on LOW for several hours. Stir occasionally.
- Lentils go in 45 minutes to 1 hour before serving time. Add a bit of water if the soup becomes too thick.
- Add the butter if you're not doing the "lowfat" version and you like the richness of those yellow bubbles!
- Serve with grated sharp Cheddar cheese sprinkled over the top.
- NOTE: Leftovers are SUPERIOR to the first-run version.
- SUBSTITUTE: Try orzo pasta instead of the lentils.
- ***Chicken broth may be substituted here.
A+! Everybody loved it! Very easy to make! A lovely 1 pot meal. I was crunched on time so I added the lentils with everything else & cooked it for 45 minutes - it worked wonderfully! Very nice texture, flavor & consistency. And it's gone. Oh my - please check the servings because the 4 of us ate the whole thing. Only dh & dd had 2nds. I used ground beef. Made for ZWT 4. :)
my family enjoyed this soup--wonderful for the Fall and the lentils are small enough that my picky children ate them without complaint!! Very good flavor.