1/1 Photo of Sausage & Lentil Soup
2 hrs 15 mins
Here's something to warm 'em up after a shift in the deer stand waiting for the big buck OR those charming Christmas carolers on a frosty night OR for a tail-gating menu before a big football game on an autumn afternoon.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb ground meat (combine beef, sausage, venison, turkey)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled & chopped
- 1/4 cup diced green pepper
- 1 -3 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 6 chicken bouillon cubes (*)
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 -2 cup spinach, chopped or 1 -2 cup swiss chard
- 3/4 cup lentils, dry
- 2 tablespoons butter (optional)
- sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1Saute meats, rinse & drain for "lowfat" serving.
- 2Add veggies & cook until onion is transparent. Add 8 cups water *or use equivalent amount of chix broth* and everything else EXCEPT lentils, butter and cheese.
- 3Continue cooking covered, simmer for at least one hour on stove-top OR transfer to crockpot on LOW for several hours. Stir occasionally.
- 4Lentils go in 45 minutes to 1 hour before serving time. Add a bit of water if the soup becomes too thick.
- 5Add the butter if you're not doing the "lowfat" version and you like the richness of those yellow bubbles!
- 6Serve with grated sharp Cheddar cheese sprinkled over the top.
- 7NOTE: Leftovers are SUPERIOR to the first-run version.
- 8SUBSTITUTE: Try orzo pasta instead of the lentils.
- 9***Chicken broth may be substituted here.
Browse Our Top Clear Soup Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sausage & Lentil Soup
Serving Size: 1 (65 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 42.5
- Calories from Fat 4
- Total Fat 0.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.3 mg
- Sodium 713.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 3.0 g
- Protein 2.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: