Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
Posted on a BBS, credited to Bon Appetit by way of Epicurious.com
- 1 1⁄2 lbs egg bread, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 17 cups)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 cups leeks, sliced (white-lt. green part only, or about 6 leeks)
- 1 lb Italian turkey sausage, casing removed
- 2 cups celery, chopped
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme, crumbled
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
- 1 cup dried currant
- 2 eggs, beaten to blend
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Arrange bread cubes on 2 heavy large baking sheets.
- Bake until slightly dry, about 10 minutes.
- Cool completely.
- Heat oil in heavy large Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add leeks, sausage, celery, sugar, thyme and sage.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook until sausage is cooked through and leeks are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to large bowl.
- Cool slightly. Add bread cubes and currants to sausage mixture and toss to combine.
- Season with salt and pepper. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)
- Stir beaten eggs into stuffing.