Prep 10 mins
Cook 31 mins
Entered for safe-keeping, this is a money-saver recipe from Woman's World 11/8/10. The sausage adds flavor, the veggies make it healthy, and the oatmeal makes it stick to your ribs.
- 14.79 ml oil
- 453.59 g Italian sausages or 453.59 g Italian turkey sausage link
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2.46 ml garlic powder
- 1.23 ml pepper
- 1419.54 ml water
- 19.71 ml chicken bouillon granules
- 907.18 g sweet potatoes, peeled, quartered and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 453.59 g kale, trimmed of stems and torn into 3-inch pieces
- 118.29 ml old fashioned oats
- 10 slice crusty bread
- In large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add Italian sausage links and cook, turning until browned and cooked through, about 8-10 minutes.
- Take sausage out of pot and slice 1/4" thick.
- Add onion to the drippings in pot and cook, stirring, until lightly browned, 2-3 minutes.
- Return sausage to pot with garlic powder and pepper. Cook, stirring, for one minute.
- Stir in water and chicken bouillon granules. Add sweet potatoes. Cover; bring to simmer over medium-low heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are tender, 10-12 minutes.
- Stir in kale. Cover; cook over low until kale is wilted, 5-6 minutes.
- Sprinkle old-fashioned rolled oats over soup. Cover; cook, stirring occasionally, until oatmeal is softened and cooked through, 5 minutes.
- Serve with crusty bread.
Mine turned out to more of a stew than a soup....it was very thick, but very tasty! I did end up adding a bit of seasoning, but the basic recipe is delicious. Thanks for sharing! Made for PRMR tag game.