1/1 Photo of Sausage, Kale and Sweet Potato Soup
Entered for safe-keeping, this is a money-saver recipe from Woman's World 11/8/10. The sausage adds flavor, the veggies make it healthy, and the oatmeal makes it stick to your ribs.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 lb Italian sausages or 1 lb Italian turkey sausage link
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 cups water
- 4 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled, quartered and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1 lb kale, trimmed of stems and torn into 3-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
- 10 slices crusty bread
- 1In large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add Italian sausage links and cook, turning until browned and cooked through, about 8-10 minutes.
- 2Take sausage out of pot and slice 1/4" thick.
- 3Add onion to the drippings in pot and cook, stirring, until lightly browned, 2-3 minutes.
- 4Return sausage to pot with garlic powder and pepper. Cook, stirring, for one minute.
- 5Stir in water and chicken bouillon granules. Add sweet potatoes. Cover; bring to simmer over medium-low heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are tender, 10-12 minutes.
- 6Stir in kale. Cover; cook over low until kale is wilted, 5-6 minutes.
- 7Sprinkle old-fashioned rolled oats over soup. Cover; cook, stirring occasionally, until oatmeal is softened and cooked through, 5 minutes.
- 8Serve with crusty bread.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sausage, Kale and Sweet Potato Soup
Serving Size: 1 (405 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 476.5
- Calories from Fat 141
- Total Fat 15.6 g
- Saturated Fat 5.0 g
- Cholesterol 25.9 mg
- Sodium 1141.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 64.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.8 g
- Sugars 6.4 g
- Protein 19.9 g