Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
Classic cajun dish featuring spicy rice & sausage
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1 lb smoked sausage, sliced thin
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup fat-free chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄3 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 1⁄2 cup scallion, chopped
- Heat oil in large pot.
- Add garlic, onion, bell pepper, and celery. Cook 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add sausage. Cook 3 minutes, stirring often.
- Add tomatoes (undrained), broth, salt, thyme, cayenne pepper and bay leaf.
- Bring to simmer and cook 10-15 minutes, stirring often.
- Add additional salt & pepper if desired.
- Stir in rice and bring to boil. Reduce to simmer and cover.
- Cook 20-25 minutes until the rice is done. Stir often.
- Add scallions and fluff with fork.
Very flavorful! I tossed in a diced jalapeno I had on hand and we enjoyed this very much! Will definitely make again. Thanks!
This is delicious! I had no thyme or cayenne, so substituted them with creole seasoning. Also, didn't have any green pepper or celery, but happen to have a can of diced tomatoes with both the veggies in it! What a coincidence! Will definately be making this again!
Used this recipe except had it in my crockpot instead. Turned out really good, although I also needed more liquid, something usually unnecessary for slow cooker cooking. Good amount of spice, especially when you use spicy sausage to begin with. Served it with [url=http://www.recipezaar.com/65922]my favourite cornbread recipe.[/url] My dinner guest said it was a little on the salty side, I didn't think so but just something for others to consider. Will make this one again!