Recipe by andypandy
This is a Italian recipe which I got when in New York in 1965... use on polenta, or spaghetti...
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb italian sweet sausage or 1 lb hot Italian sausage
- 28 ounces canned tomatoes
- 4 tablespoons cut up fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon thyme (I have also used oregano instead)
- salt and pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepot over medium heat saute the onion in the olive oil.
- Add garlic and continue to saute.
- Add sausage meat and brown slightly on all sides.
- Drain off any fat.
- Add thyme, tomatoes, salt and pepper, and 2 tablespoons of the basil.
- When sauce is bubbly, reduce heat and cover.
- Cook for at least one hour.
- Add the remaining fresh basil leaves the last fifteen minutes.
- Serve on cooked soft or firm polenta with extra romano cheese sprinkled over the top.