1 hr 10 mins
Ground beef may be used in place of the Italian sausage if desired, feel free to spread some frozen thawed small veggie mixture or canned drain mushrooms over the sausage meat, the hash browns must be thawed before using and the complete casserole may be prepared, covered and refrigerated up to 24 hours before baking, use the small diced hash browns not the shredded --- this is delicious and makes a great potluck dish!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs bulk italian sausage meat (spicy or mild)
- 1 (2 lb) bag frozen hash browns, thawed (do not use the shredded frozen hash browns)
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (optional or to taste)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese, divided (can use more if desired)
- 1Set oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- 3In a skillet cook the bulk sausage meat until browned; set aside (if using ground beef cook beef for extra flavor brown with a chopped onion and 1-2 tablespoons fresh minced garlic).
- 4In a bowl combine soup with sour cream, melted butter, milk, garlic powder, seasoned salt, black pepper and cayenne; mix vigorously until well combined.
- 5Mix in onion, hash browns, and 1 to 1-1/2 cups cheddar cheese.
- 6Spread just under half of the hash brown mixture into the bottom of the pan.
- 7Sprinkle the cooked sausage mixture over hash brown mixture.
- 8Spoon the remaining hash brown mixture over the sausage (does not have to cover completely).
- 9Bake uncovered for about 40-45 minutes.
- 10Sprinkle the remaining 1 cup grated cheddar over the top, then place back in oven for about 2-3 minutes to melt the cheese.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sausage-Hash Brown Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (353 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1146.4
- Calories from Fat 843
- Total Fat 93.6 g
- Saturated Fat 41.5 g
- Cholesterol 209.1 mg
- Sodium 1659.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 3.0 g
- Protein 39.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: