Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is the main dish you serve for brunch when you haven't got a lot of time to spend fussing with a menu. The combination of sausage, grits, eggs, and cheese is filling and delicious. All you need is some fresh fruit and bread to round out the menu.
- 4 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup quick-cooking grits
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided (6 ounces)
- 4 tablespoons butter or 4 tablespoons margarine
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 8 ounces mild breakfast sausage, browned and drained
- 3⁄4 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees if cooking at once.
- (Casserole can be assembled a day ahead and refrigerated).
- Lightly grease a 3-quart baking dish with melted butter and set aside.
- Place the water and salt in a large saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Slowly stir in the grits, reduce the heat to low and cover the pan.
- Simmer for 5 minutes, or until cooked, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the pan from the heat.
- Stir 1 cup of the cheese and butter into grits until melted.
- Add eggs, milk and sausage.
- Pour grits mixture into the prepared pan and sprinkle with remaining cheese and pecans.
- Place the pan in the oven and bake 1 hour, or until casserole bubbles and pecans have browned.
- Remove the pan to a rack to cool for 15 minutes before serving.
- To make the day ahead, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate after topping casserole with shredded cheese and pecans.
- Bake as directed the next morning.
Cut this in half and used veggie sausage links. Very very good! The grits were light and creamy (and the directions on my grits specified more water also, but I followed the recipe instead. Glad I did). The pecans add not only a nice crunch but a light sweetness. I didn't think they would add much to the finished product but they do! Nice change for breakfast! Will make again. Thanks Dancer!
This was so easy to whip up the night before for Sunday brunch! Thank you, a definite keeper!
Excellent dish for our Christmas brunch- thank you so much - wonderful dish! Merry Christmas!