Cookin' in NJ's Note:
This is my mother's yummy recipe for sausage grits. She serves these at her Bed and Breakfast in Washington, Georgia (Washington Plantation B&B) and no one leaves hungry :-)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a sauce pot, mash sausage in enough water to make it slushy (about 1 1/2 cups). Boil until thoroughly cooked. Strain, reserving broth.
- 2Bring 2 1/2 cups water and butter to a rolling boil. Add grits and pepper. Cook until tender (about 10 minutes) stirring frequently.
- 3Add water as necessary to keep a creamy consistency.
- 4Add cheese and stir until melted.
- 5Add sausage and sausage broth as necessary to keep creamy consistency.
- 6Cover and set off heat for 15 minutes. This will allow the grits to absorb more and tenderize. When reheating, add more sausage broth as necessary to obtain proper consistency. Garnish with parsley or cilantro as available.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sausage Grits
Serving Size: 1 (167 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 305.0
- Calories from Fat 200
- Total Fat 22.2 g
- Saturated Fat 10.1 g
- Cholesterol 71.9 mg
- Sodium 371.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 10.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
four cheese blend