Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is my mother's yummy recipe for sausage grits. She serves these at her Bed and Breakfast in Washington, Georgia (Washington Plantation B&B) and no one leaves hungry :-)
- In a sauce pot, mash sausage in enough water to make it slushy (about 1 1/2 cups). Boil until thoroughly cooked. Strain, reserving broth.
- Bring 2 1/2 cups water and butter to a rolling boil. Add grits and pepper. Cook until tender (about 10 minutes) stirring frequently.
- Add water as necessary to keep a creamy consistency.
- Add cheese and stir until melted.
- Add sausage and sausage broth as necessary to keep creamy consistency.
- Cover and set off heat for 15 minutes. This will allow the grits to absorb more and tenderize. When reheating, add more sausage broth as necessary to obtain proper consistency. Garnish with parsley or cilantro as available.