Recipe by chefbren
I came up with this one day after trying out other recipes on my children that they rejected. I have one son who doesn't eat eggs, so it makes hit hard to make a breakfast casserole everyone will eat. I finally did it with this one!
Top Review by Seattler
Always looking for brunch recipes for pot lucks with friends. This recipe was a huge hit! Changed the preparation slightly, and cooked hash browns on large baking sheet before adding sausage, gravy, and cheese. Potatoes were crisp and delicious. Once all ingredients added together, baked until hot and bubbly and cheese melted. Yum!!!
- 2 (16 ounce) packages frozen shredded hash browns (thawed)
- 2 lbs bulk pork sausage
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 -3 cups whole milk (depending on how thick you like the gravy)
- 1 1⁄2 cups of shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green onion (to garnish) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Crumble and cook sausage in a large frying pan until no longer pink.
- (do not drain).
- Add 2 tablespoons flour and stir into sausage mixture, let it cook for one minute.
- Slowly add milk and bring to a boil.
- Let cook for 10 minutes until thickened to desired consistency.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Meanwhile put both packages of thawed hashbrowns into a 9 x 13 glass dish.
- Add shredded cheese.
- Top with sausage gravy mixture.
- Cook at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Garnish with green onions if desired.
- You can make this with a variety of cheeses.
- I find that using either sharp cheddar or pepper jack work the best.