Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
An easy sausage gravy
- 1 lb sausage (hot breakfast sausage)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup Wondra Flour
- 1 quart whole milk
- salt and pepper
- Brown sausage in large skillet until crumbly, dry and has absorbed most of the grease.
- Add butter allow to melt.
- Add flour while stirring continuously.
- Sausage will appear slightly white once enough has been added.
- It may take a bit more or less depending on how much grease your sausage contains.
- Continue cooking until flour is browned and mixture is dry.
- About 2 minutes.
- Add milk, more may be required depending on how much flour was added in step three above.
- Lower heat to simmer and allow to cook till thick.
- If your mixture is too thick add more milk, add more flour if it's too dry.
- Gravy should have a light reddish brown color.
- If it's too white the flour was not sufficiently cooked (it's still edible and delicious).
I did not have the wondara flour. But sure enough made it. Once again we have a very good lunch. VERY EASY..FAST..VERY GOOD. I had to double the recipe because I knew we had a WINNER. We will be having this over and over.
Wonderful with flakey bisquits!
Wonderful!!! I used 1/2 Hot Zesty Sausage and 1/2 original and it was perfect! Used salted butter too.