Prep 1 hr
Cook 40 mins
Source: Taste of Home. A lasagna-like casserole that is very handy to have in the freezer.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs bulk Italian sausage
- 2 (28 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated (divided)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
- 1 (12 ounce) package wide egg noodles, cooked and drained
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 4 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, cook sausage until no longer pink; drain.
- Add tomatoes, bay leaf, garlic, sugar, basil, oregano, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in a separate bowl combine eggs, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, and nutmeg. Stir in spinach, cooked noodles, and onions.
- Discard bay leaf from sausage mixture.
- In each of two greased 9-in square baking pans, layer a fourth of the noodles and a fourth of the sausage mixture. Top each with 1 cup mozzarella cheese.
- Repeat layers.
- Top with remaining Parmesan cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350 for 30 minutes or unil bubbly.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- Note: Casseroles may be frozen before baking; thaw in the refrigerator overnight and bake at 350 for 1 hour.
This is a delicious casserole. It is simple to make and freezes well.