1 hr 40 mins
Atomic Girl Cooks!'s Note:
Source: Taste of Home. A lasagna-like casserole that is very handy to have in the freezer.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs bulk Italian sausage
- 2 (28 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated (divided)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
- 1 (12 ounce) package wide egg noodles, cooked and drained
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 4 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, cook sausage until no longer pink; drain.
- 2Add tomatoes, bay leaf, garlic, sugar, basil, oregano, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil.
- 3Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- 4Meanwhile, in a separate bowl combine eggs, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, and nutmeg. Stir in spinach, cooked noodles, and onions.
- 5Discard bay leaf from sausage mixture.
- 6In each of two greased 9-in square baking pans, layer a fourth of the noodles and a fourth of the sausage mixture. Top each with 1 cup mozzarella cheese.
- 7Repeat layers.
- 8Top with remaining Parmesan cheese.
- 9Bake, uncovered, at 350 for 30 minutes or unil bubbly.
- 10Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- 11Note: Casseroles may be frozen before baking; thaw in the refrigerator overnight and bake at 350 for 1 hour.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sausage Florentine Bake
Serving Size: 1 (495 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 772.8
- Calories from Fat 416
- Total Fat 46.2 g
- Saturated Fat 19.5 g
- Cholesterol 256.1 mg
- Sodium 1737.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.6 g
- Sugars 10.7 g
- Protein 40.7 g