Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
I made this last night to serve over fusilli and my husband just scarfed it down, which is very rare for him. This make enough for two or three meals so is good for putting in the freezer.
- 1 lb eggplant, cubed
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 12 ounces hot Italian sausage
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 celery rib, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 28 ounces whole tomatoes
- In a colander, toss the eggplant with 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Pat dry with a paper towel and set aside.
- Remove the casings from the sausage.
- In a large, shallow Dutch oven, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium-high heat.
- Brown the sausage, breaking up any large chunks.
- With a slotted spoon, transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Drain the fat from the pan.
- Heat the remaining oil in the same pan over medium heat.
- Cook the onion, celery, garlic, oregano, pepper, eggplant and remaining salt, stirring occasionally, until the eggplant is very soft, about 15 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, breaking up with a spoon.
- Return the sausage to the pan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer until thickened, about 35 minutes.
MMMM...great! I made this in the crockpot adding a jar of prepared pasta sauce to increase the amount, and use some mild breakfast sausage. Mashed up some of the eggplant after cooking to thicken the sauce. Sent 3/4 home with DS1, they loved it too...(and he's not an eggplant fan.) Thanks a bunch!