Recipe by nicoleingermantown
This recipe was in Southern Living in the early 90s. I've made in several times. Its a little bit different from most breakfast casseroles AND its easy because you make it the night before and bake it in the morning.
- 8 slices white bread, torn into small pieces
- 1 lb link sausage
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup additional milk
- 1 cup mushroom soup
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 6 eggs
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
Directions See How It's Made
- Place bread pieces in 9x13 inch greased casserole dish.
- Slice sausage links into 1/2 inch thick slices. Brown sausage pieces in skillet and drain on paper towels.
- Spread cheese on bread pieces and then layer sausage on the cheese.
- Beat eggs, dry mustard and 2 1/2 cups milk and pour over casserole. Refrigerate overnight.
- When ready to bake, dilute soup with the 1/2 cup milk and pour over casserole.
- Bake at 300 degrees for 1 1/2 hours.