Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
This makes a great breakfast when you prepare it the night before, or you can omit soaking overnight (this works especially well with fresh bread). I must confess, I had some Texas Toast in my freezer that I defrosted and used in place of buttered bread (it probably would have worked frozen too). I used regular milk in place of the cream. Feel free to double the recipe or cut if half. Recipe courtesy of My Great Recipes 1989.
- 1 lb bulk sausage
- 4 -6 slices bread, remove crusts
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded (or any cheese)
- 5 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 16 ounces half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- tomatoes, slices for garnish
- green pepper slices, for garnish
- In large iron skillet, cook sausage over medium high heat about 8 minutes on each side until done.
- Cool. Drain and crumble.
- Butter bread.
- Place in a casserole, buttered side down.
- Sprinkle sausage on bread.
- Cover with cheese.
- In large mixing bowl, combine beaten eggs, half-and-half, salt, and mustard.
- Pour over top of cheese. Let set, refrigerated, for 8 hours.
- Bake at 350 for about 40 minutes or until set and lightly browned.
- Garnish with tomato slices and pepper rings.
great recipe. I made at night and cooked in the morning. my DD loved it. I did have to cook and additional 10 minutes because it was a little runny. I am making myself save the rest for tomorrow because I think it may even be better the next day! Thanks for sharing Amy Zoe..