1/2 Photos of Sausage Egg Casserole
1 hr 10 mins
This makes a great breakfast when you prepare it the night before, or you can omit soaking overnight (this works especially well with fresh bread). I must confess, I had some Texas Toast in my freezer that I defrosted and used in place of buttered bread (it probably would have worked frozen too). I used regular milk in place of the cream. Feel free to double the recipe or cut if half. Recipe courtesy of My Great Recipes 1989.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb bulk sausage
- 4 -6 slices bread, remove crusts
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded (or any cheese)
- 5 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 16 ounces half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- tomato, slices for garnish
- green pepper slices, for garnish
- 1In large iron skillet, cook sausage over medium high heat about 8 minutes on each side until done.
- 2Cool. Drain and crumble.
- 3Butter bread.
- 4Place in a casserole, buttered side down.
- 5Sprinkle sausage on bread.
- 6Cover with cheese.
- 7In large mixing bowl, combine beaten eggs, half-and-half, salt, and mustard.
- 8Pour over top of cheese. Let set, refrigerated, for 8 hours.
- 9Bake at 350 for about 40 minutes or until set and lightly browned.
- 10Garnish with tomato slices and pepper rings.
Browse Our Top < 4 Hours Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sausage Egg Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (260 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 529.0
- Calories from Fat 367
- Total Fat 40.7 g
- Saturated Fat 18.9 g
- Cholesterol 299.3 mg
- Sodium 1176.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 27.2 g