Recipe by AmyZoe
This makes a great breakfast when you prepare it the night before, or you can omit soaking overnight (this works especially well with fresh bread). I must confess, I had some Texas Toast in my freezer that I defrosted and used in place of buttered bread (it probably would have worked frozen too). I used regular milk in place of the cream. Feel free to double the recipe or cut if half. Recipe courtesy of My Great Recipes 1989.
Top Review by Bay Laurel
great recipe. I made at night and cooked in the morning. my DD loved it. I did have to cook and additional 10 minutes because it was a little runny. I am making myself save the rest for tomorrow because I think it may even be better the next day! Thanks for sharing Amy Zoe..
- 1 lb bulk sausage
- 4 -6 slices bread, remove crusts
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded (or any cheese)
- 5 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 16 ounces half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- tomatoes, slices for garnish
- green pepper slices, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- In large iron skillet, cook sausage over medium high heat about 8 minutes on each side until done.
- Cool. Drain and crumble.
- Butter bread.
- Place in a casserole, buttered side down.
- Sprinkle sausage on bread.
- Cover with cheese.
- In large mixing bowl, combine beaten eggs, half-and-half, salt, and mustard.
- Pour over top of cheese. Let set, refrigerated, for 8 hours.
- Bake at 350 for about 40 minutes or until set and lightly browned.
- Garnish with tomato slices and pepper rings.