Recipe by Michelle Berteig
My sister made this recipe and it was delicious, very creamy in texture! Also freezes well. This recipe is very versatile. Instead of the turkey Italian sausage, you could use bulk breakfast sausage. You can also add any veggies you like. Artichoke hearts are particularly good. Rotel (diced tomatoes and green chiles) is also very good in this. Enjoy!
Top Review by ~Nimz~
This was a very nice breakfast casserole and very creamy. The flavors went together very well. I used Italian sausage instead of the turkey, and loved the flavor it added. Very easy to put together too. Thanks Michelle
- 1 lb Italian turkey sausage
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cups small curd cottage cheese
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups egg substitute or 8 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup baking mix
- 4 ounces diced green chilies (1 small can)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook sausage, green pepper and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs.
- Add the baking mix and milk.
- add the cottage cheese, shredded cheese, and chiles.
- Stir in the cooked sausage/onions/peppers.
- pour into a 13-in X 9-in X 2-in pan coated with nonstick cooking spray.
- Bake at 350F for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.