Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
These are wonderful appetizers for entertaining! the filling is laced with sage and sausage to create a turkey dressing taste! Spicy pork sausages works best for this. You should get around 35-38 appetizers with this recipe, but it can easily be doubled. You will need a 3-inch biscuit cutter for this or use a similar size drinking glass top. To save time prepare and bake the crusts up to a day in advance and store in a ziploc bag until ready to use.
- 2 loaves sliced sourdough bread
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1⁄2 lb Italian sausage (3 large)
- 1 stalk celery, finely diced
- 1⁄4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh minced garlic (or to taste) (optional)
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3⁄4 cup half-and-half cream
- 1⁄2 cup finely shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon poultry seasoning (or to taste)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried rubbed sage (or to taste)
- seasoning salt or white salt
- black pepper
- parmesan cheese (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the sourdough bread slices into 38 rounds using a biscuit cutter.
- Using a rolling pin roll each round to flatten.
- Press each round very firmly into the bottom of a 1-3/4-inch mini muffin tin that has been coated with cooking spray.
- Bake in a 350°F oven for about 15-20 minutes or until crisp.
- For the sausage mixture; in a skillet cook the sausage meat with onion, celery and garlic (if using) until the sausage meat is browned (if you are using mild sausage add in a little cayenne pepper if desired, make certain that the sausage meat if finely crumbled) drain any fat, then place the sausage mixture into a bowl.
- Add in eggs with half and half cream, mozzarella cheese, poultry seasoning and sage; mix to combine and season with seasoned salt (or white salt) and black pepper.
- Spoon into prepared sourdough crusts filling about 3/4 full.
- Id desired lightly top/sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until set.
- Best served warm.