Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
A wheat bread and sausage dressing to go with your turkey. You can either use the packaged stuffing available in stores, or you can make your own bread cubes. This recipe calls for 10 cups of bread. The 14 ounce packages of Pepperidge Farm Herb Seasoned Stuffing have 6 cups in each package, so you will need two packages for this recipe. See instructions below for making your own bread cubes - you need to start the drying process at least one day in advance, preferably two days. The sausage flavor is your choice; I like to use one which has a strong sage flavor. Bulk breakfast sausage is not the kind in link form, it comes in a cylinder which can be cut into patties. An example would be Jimmy Dean sausage.
- IF YOU ARE MAKING THE BREAD CUBES YOURSELF - *AT LEAST* ONE DAY BEFORE YOU PLAN TO MAKE THE DRESSING: Take whatever bread you are planning to use and cut it into small 1/2" cubes. Measure out 10 cups of cubed bread and spread them out on cookie trays. Let these sit out, uncovered, so the bread will dry out. It is best to let the bread dry for 2 days if possible.
- TO MAKE THE DRESSING:.
- Preheat the oven to 350º.
- In a large pot, cook the sausage, breaking up any large bits and stirring frequently, until the sausage has begun to brown. Do not drain. Add the butter and stir until it is melted.
- Add the onions and celery to the sausage and sauté for 5 minutes over medium heat.
- Remove the sausage/vegetable mixture from the heat and add the spices to the mixture: if you are using home made bread cubes, add 1 tablespoon of poultry seasoning. If you are using packaged herb-seasoned stuffing, add 1/2 tablespoon of poultry seasoning. Add the garlic powder, dried rubbed sage, and salt. Mix well to distribute the spices throughout the mixture.
- Place the bread cubes in a very large mixing bowl. *NOTE*: if you are using packaged stuffing, measure out 10 cups of the stuffing. Do not use two entire 14 ounce packages of stuffing, this will be too much and the ratio to the rest of the ingredients will be off. Pour the sausage/vegetable mixture over the bread cubes and mix thoroughly.
- Pour the chicken broth over the dressing mixture and mix well so that the dressing is evenly moist, with no dry spots.
- Grease a large baking dish and pour the dressing into it. Cover and bake at 350º for 30 minutes, then uncover and bake for 10 more minutes.