Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is my wife's recipe, and it tastes really great when you feel in need of a heavy-duty cholesterol "fix"!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb pork sausage
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic granules
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 lbs Velveeta cheese, cubed and melted
- 1 can Rotel tomatoes & chilies
- 1 teaspoon chopped pickled jalapeno pepper, seeded if desired
- 1 -2 teaspoon juice, from the pickled jalapenos,to taste
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- milk or broth, as needed to thin
- In a large saucepan, brown the beef and sausage over medium-high heat, together with onion, granulated garlic, and salt and pepper to taste, breaking up chunks as it browns.
- Drain thoroughly, and return to pan.
- Add the cheese and all remaining ingredients.
- Simmer over low heat until good and hot, but not boiling.
- Season to taste with more garlic, salt, and pepper, and thin to desired consistency with milk or broth.
- Serve hot with tortilla chips and/or crackers.
- To reheat leftovers, microwave on Medium or in a covered saucepan over low heat, stirring several times.
This was delicious. Everyone loved it. I served it with Scoops® chips and I also cut up some celery and fresh cauliflower for dipping. Some people were even eating the dip COLD. It was so good that they couldn't wait for it to be reheated. The vegetables were a huge hit for those people on the Atkins diet. I used hot pork sausage and my supermarket doesn't carry Rotel® tomatoes so I used DelMonte® chopped tomatoes with jalapeños. Wow.. what a kick between the hot sausage, hot tomatoes, and jalapeño peppers!! This will go into my 'keeper' recipe file.