Prep 45 mins
Cook 45 mins
I got this from a coworker about 8 or 9 years ago, and my family will not let me make anything else now! We all love it. It makes a huge amount - I freeze part of it so we can enjoy it a couple weeks later.
- 1 1⁄4 lbs challah or 1 1⁄4 lbs other egg bread, crusts trimmed & cut into 1/2 " cubes
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage link, casings removed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup water chestnut, drained and quartered
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, toasted and chopped
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 4 teaspoons sage, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
- Spread the bread cubes in a single layer on 2 large cookie sheets.
- Bake until lightly browned and crisp, about 20 minutes.
- Transfer to a large bowl to cool.
- Crumble the sausage meat into a large skillet and brown over medium heat until cooked through.
- Add to the bread cubes using a slotted spoon.
- In the same skillet, cook the onion and celery until transparent.
- Add to the bread cubes, again with a slotted spoon.
- Mix in the water chestnuts, pecans, parsley and sage.
- Add the stock and the butter and toss until fully mixed.
- The mixture will look kind of dry.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- You could stuff a bird with this, but I just put it into a big pan and bake after the turkey is done for about 45 minutes at 350 degrees.