Recipe by Derf
This is my all time favourite appetizer!!, Delisious! everyone loves them. The toast cups can be filled with other fillings also, but the sausage is wonderfull!! a regular around our house over the holidays. Adapted from Canadian Living mag.
Top Review by Denise J
Very tasty and very cute. Took them to a family holiday party and they were everybody's favorite- even the picky eaters. I followed the recipe exactly, even doing the bread a few days ahead- no problems.
- 16 slices white bread or 16 slices brown bread
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, smashed (optional)
- 8 mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 lb sweet Italian sausage link, chopped
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 pinch dried marjoram
- 1 pinch fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove crusts from bread; reserve for another use.
- With rolling pin, lightly roll slices to flatten.
- Press into lightly buttered muffin cups to form cups with 4 points.
- Brush lightly and sparingly with melted butter.
- Bake in 375f degree oven for 5 to 8 minutes or until light golden.
- (Toasted cups can be made ahead and stored in plastic bags in refriferator for up to 4 days. Return them to muffin cups before filling and baking.) In skillet, heat remaining butter over medium heat; cook onion and garlic (if using), stirring occasionally.
- Add mushrooms and sausage; cook,stirring occasionally, for about 8 minutes or until sausage is no longer pink.
- Add flour, salt, thyme, marjoram and pepper.
- Stir until flour is blended with drippings.
- Add cream and lemon juice; cook, stirring, for about 2 minutes or until mixture thickens.
- Taste and add more salt, thyme or marjoram, if necessary.
- Spoon sausage mixture into toasted cups and sprinkle with Parmesan.
- Bake in 375f degree oven for 5 to7 minutes or until heated through.