Prep 20 mins
Cook 23 mins
This is my all time favourite appetizer!!, Delisious! everyone loves them. The toast cups can be filled with other fillings also, but the sausage is wonderfull!! a regular around our house over the holidays. Adapted from Canadian Living mag.
- 16 slices white bread or 16 slices brown bread
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, smashed (optional)
- 8 mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 lb sweet Italian sausage link, chopped
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 pinch dried marjoram
- 1 pinch fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Remove crusts from bread; reserve for another use.
- With rolling pin, lightly roll slices to flatten.
- Press into lightly buttered muffin cups to form cups with 4 points.
- Brush lightly and sparingly with melted butter.
- Bake in 375f degree oven for 5 to 8 minutes or until light golden.
- (Toasted cups can be made ahead and stored in plastic bags in refriferator for up to 4 days. Return them to muffin cups before filling and baking.) In skillet, heat remaining butter over medium heat; cook onion and garlic (if using), stirring occasionally.
- Add mushrooms and sausage; cook,stirring occasionally, for about 8 minutes or until sausage is no longer pink.
- Add flour, salt, thyme, marjoram and pepper.
- Stir until flour is blended with drippings.
- Add cream and lemon juice; cook, stirring, for about 2 minutes or until mixture thickens.
- Taste and add more salt, thyme or marjoram, if necessary.
- Spoon sausage mixture into toasted cups and sprinkle with Parmesan.
- Bake in 375f degree oven for 5 to7 minutes or until heated through.
Very tasty and very cute. Took them to a family holiday party and they were everybody's favorite- even the picky eaters. I followed the recipe exactly, even doing the bread a few days ahead- no problems.
Awesome appetizer. I made these during the Christmas holidays and they were such a hit with my family. The toast cups held together and were crisp. The sausage filling was especially yummy and I loved the flavor of the marjoram and thyme. Thanks for providing us with a cool new treat.