Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Very old recipe handed down--and down--and, well it's really good. We put it over rice or baked potatoes.
- 1 lb pork sausage
- 2 teaspoons green peppers, chopped
- 2 teaspoons onions, chopped
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups tomatoes, chopped
- 3 teaspoons chili sauce
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- Mix well sausage, green pepper, onion, and egg.
- Roll into small balls.
- In a bowl mix flour and spices.
- Roll the balls in flour mixture and place in casserole dish.
- Mix tomatoes, chili sauce and chili powder on med.
- speed of mixer briefly.
- Pour over sausage.
- Cover and bake at 350* for 45 minutes.
Quick, easy and tasty.
Delicious and quick!!! I used hot Italian Sausage and this added a nice bite to the dish. I doubled the Green Pepper and Onion. Instead of rice, I served this with Sesame Eggplant posted by Rainberry Blues and it was a perfect meal!!!
I think possibly browning the sausage a little before putting it in the casserole might improve this dish a bit. The texture of the sausage balls was horrible, almost slimy. On the up side, the tomato sauce was pretty tasty over the baked potatoes (I added a dollop of sour cream) but I won't be repeating this one.