Recipe by john_cagle
This recipe came from Kathleen Daeleman's Today Show presentation. Everyone in my family loves it.
Top Review by DinnerBelle
Very good, and pretty quick to put together. I liked the fennel/cumin combination. Use a whole pound of sausage or you won't be able to find it among the veg. I shortened the cooking time by adding the sweet potato and squash chunks at the same time. If the potato chunks are about 1/2 inch and the squash about 1 inch it will all be done at about the same time. I had never used buttercup squash before and I won't again, at least in this recipe. It was agonizing to peel and identical in taste to butternut.
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1 diced onion
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 lb reduced-fat Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and diced into 1/2 inch chunks
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 small buttercup squash, peeled seeded diced
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in large soup pot over medium-high heat. When hot but not smoking, add onion and garlic. Cook, uncovered, stirring every now and then, until onion is completely softened, one to two minutes. Add sausage and cook, breaking it apart with a spatula or spoon, until cooked through.
- Add tomatoes, broth, sweet potatoes, cumin, and fennel. Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer and cook until sweet potatoes are almost done, about 10 minutes. Add squash and chickpeas and cook, uncovered, for 15-25 minutes more, until squash is fork-tender. Taste, adjust seasonings with salt and pepper and serve.