Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a very hardy soup, all you need is a fabulous loaf of crusty bread.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 bay leaf
- 7 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 ounces swiss cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 lb smoked sausage, sliced. Use spicy if you like
- Melt butter in medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion, carrot and garlic; sauté until softened.
- Add flour; cook 5 minutes, stirring often. Add chicken broth, milk, Worcestershire sauce, salt, mustard and bay leaf.
- Reduce heat to low; cook until soup has thickened, whisking often. Remove and discard bay leaf.
- Slowly whisk cheeses into soup until blended and smooth.
- Cut Smoked Sausage lengthwise into quarters, then slice into 1/2-inch pieces. Sauté sausage in small skillet over medium-high heat until heated through. Blot excess grease with paper towels; add sausage to soup. Serve soup hot.
Really flavorful and filling soup! I did add an extra 2 cups of broth to ours, but that is a personal preference. I used some garlic and cheese flavored sausage. While we were eating this, DH and I both thought it would be perfect to serve over biscuits or mashed potatoes (without the extra broth we added). I may have added a little extra cheese, but really, you can never have enough cheese. Made for Spring 2008 PAC.