Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
Southern Living; see note for OAMC instructions
Top Review by Gladys58
I made these for brunch and they were very delicious. I like a heartier muffin and this fit the bill. The sausage and onion flavors combined well. A great addition to our breakfast smorgasbord. Thanks Nurse Di.
- 1⁄2 lb bulk pork sausage
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green onion
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green pepper
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup plain cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine sausage, green onions, and green pepper in a skillet.
- Cook over medium heat until sausage is browned; drain excess fat.
- Combine flour, cornmeal, soda, salt, and red pepper.
- Combine egg and buttermilk.
- Add buttermilk mixture, sausage mixture, and cheese to flour mixture; stir just until moistened.
- Spoon into greased muffin pans, filling two-thirds full.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 28-30 minutes or until golden.
- Note: OAMC instructions--To Freeze: Freeze wrapped individually in plastic wrap, then put in ziplock.
- To Reheat: Microwave 10-20 seconds or until heated through.