Recipe by WJKing
This is lighter than traditional manicotti - and SO delicious! Easy to freeze the second dish to enjoy later! Enjoy!
- 1 package manicotti, cooked
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 1 cup finely chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 egg whites
- 3 cups fat-free cottage cheese
- 6 -8 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 cup shredded parmesan cheese, divided
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 28 ounces meatless sauce
- 3⁄4 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Crumble sausage into a nonstick skillet; add the red pepper and onion.
- Cook over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; drain.
- In a bowl, combine the sausage mixture, egg whites, cottage cheese, mozzarella cheese, 1/4 c.
- Parmesan cheese, and all seasonings.
- Stuff into (cooked&) drained manicotti shells.
- Combine spaghetti sauce& water; spread 1/2 c.
- in each ungreased 9x13 pan.
- Arrange shells over sauce; top with remaining sauce.
- Cover and bake at 350 for 40 minutes.
- Uncover; sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese.
- Bake 10-15 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.