Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
I found this recipe while looking for a cheese and grits souffle recipe online. It's very versatile- serve in the morning with a fruit salad and juice or as a side dish with any type of BBQ, chicken or ham.Originally from a March 1992 Gourmet magazine.
- 6 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups quick-cooking grits
- 2 3⁄4 cups grated monterey jack cheese (about 3/4 lb.)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 inches pickled jalapeno peppers, minced, including the seeds
- 4 green onions, finely sliced
- 3⁄4 lb bulk sausage (regular or hot)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium bell pepper, finely chopped
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- In a large heavy saucepan bring the water to a boil, stir in the grits slowly, and simmer them, covered. stirring occasionally, for 7 minutes.
- Stir in 1 1/2 cups of the Monterey Jack cheese, the butter, the jalapenos, the green onions, and salt and pepper to taste, stirring until the cheese is melted, and spread the mixture in a buttered 13x9-inch baking dish.
- In a heavy skillet brown the sausage over moderate heat, stirring and breaking up the lumps, transfer it with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain, and pour off the fat.
- Add the oil to the skillet and in it cook the onion and the bell pepper over moderately low heat, stirring, until the vegetables are softened.
- In a bowl whisk together the eggs, worcestershire sauce and salt to taste, stir in the sausage and vegetables, and spread the mixture over the grits.
- Sprinkle the sausage mixture with the remaining 1 1/4 cups Monterey jack cheese and bake the grits in the middle of a preheated 350 degree oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the eggd are firm.
- Cut into squares and serve.