Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
adapted from Every Day in Tuscany....my new fav
- 1 lb mild Italian sausage, casings removed
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed or minced
- 2 quarts stock, homemade chicken, turkey, vegetable
- 1 cup white wine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bunch kale, washed and chopped
- 4 cups cooked cannellini beans
- Saute crumbled sausage in oil until well browned. Set aside.
- Saute onions and garlic until translucent. Combine with stock in a large pot.
- Add wine and cook until alcohol has evaporated -- about ten minutes. Add thyme and kale. (6 sprigs fresh thyme can also be used).
- Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer 15 minutes.
- Add sausage and beans and simmer another 15 minutes. Best with more wine and some nice crusty bread.
This soup is really good. I used chicken sausage instead. I love it that it is so healthy and so tasty at the same time. I had my first experience with kale and love it.
A filling and hearty soup that is super easy to make, although I didn't quite follow the recipe as written but took even more shortcuts. I had bulk sweet Italian sausage that I browned with the onions and garlic at one time. I then added the wine and fresh thyme (along with some salt and pepper to taste) and let it cook down a little. I then added the stock, brought it to a boil, added the kale, and simmer for 15 minutes, covered. I then two 15-oz. cans of cannellini beans straight from the can and simmered for another 15 minutes. The end result was thick and absolute comfort food. The flavors were great and a slice of crusty bread completed the meal. Definitely a keeper! Made for Spring PAC 2012.