Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
I have wanted to put my electric skillet to use more often-this came together very well. I used Pizza Hut Style Pizza Dough (Bread Machine)-Pizza Hut Style Pizza Dough (bread machine)by Cullinaryjudge. Please follow those instructions if using that dough recipe.
- 1 lb bulk hot Italian sausage
- 1⁄4 cup fine chopped green pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup spaghetti sauce
- 1⁄2 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 cups shredded Italian cheese blend (parmesan, asiago, romano & aged provolone)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Prepare pizza dough per instructions-see description.
- In a large skillet cook hot italian sausage-break it up well.
- Remove from skillet, add remaining ingredients except spaghetti sauce and cheese's.
- Saute over medium heat until onions just begin to turn opaque.
- Remove from heat-drain well.
- In a medium bowl combine the cooked sausage, vegetables, spaghetti sauce, cheese's, pepper and salt.
- Mix well.
- Divide dough into 4 portions.
- On a well floured surface roll each piece into a thin round.
- Divide filling equally, placing each portion on one side of each dough round.
- Fold dough over filling, pressing down lightly to remove air pockets.
- Crimp and fold edges over to make a seal.
- Repeat with remaining rounds.
- Oil electric skillet with virgin olive oil.
- Heat to 325 degrees.
- Place two calzones in hot skillet, cover and cook 15 minutes.
- Remove cover and carefully flip calzones.
- Cook, uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- You may need to re-oil your skillet-repeat cooking procedure with remaining 2 calzones.
- We like extra sauce to dip calzones in so I heated up 1 extra cup.
- One Calzone with a salad filled the two of us up.
- Prep time does NOT reflect dough prep-that depends on your bread machine.
- Cooking time reflects 2 batches.