Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
No one will ever believe that it contains "breakfast meat".
- 1 lb fresh pork sausage
- 3 cups brown sugar, packed
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup cold strong coffee
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup light cream
- Mix sausage with sugar.
- Add beaten egg and mix well.
- Add the baking soda to the coffee; stir mixture into sausage; mix well.
- Add the raisins, nuts, salt, flour and the spices; mix well. Batter will be stiff.
- Grease the sides of a 9" tube pan. Line bottom with waxed paper.
- Turn batter into prepared pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 1 hour or until cake shrinks from sides of pan.
- Cool and frost with caramel frosting.
- CARAMEL FROSTING:.
- Combine brown sugar, granulated sugar, butter and light cream in a saucepan.
- Boil to the softball stage, 234 degrees Fahrenheit on a candy thermometer.
- Cool and beat until thick enough to spread on cooled cake.
Im rating this recipe to encourage more people to try this. This is the same cake my mom has made since I was a kid and it's delicious. We have always shared it with people by letting them sample it before telling them it's sausage cake because most people wouldn't believe it actually has sausage in it after tasting it. This is a dense cake but in my opinion, much better than any fruit cake or spice cake Ive ever tried so I hate it when people compare it to those types of cakes. The absolute best way to serve this cake is by slicing it into sections and freezing it. Before serving, take out a section from the freezer and let it ALMOST thaw completely, eat it cold with a good cup of coffee mmmmmmmm the caramel frosting is mouth watering! I hope more people try it, it's definitely a rich comfort food.