Recipe by Sweet Diva MJ
From Taste of Home. A warm and flavorful soup. I usually serve it with Honey-Wheat cornbread for a tasty and easy meal on cool evenings.
Top Review by Marsha Mazz
This is a warm and fragrant soup which isn't overly heavy. The delicious smell lingered in my house for a couple of days. making me hungry for yet another bowl . I used authentic chorizo (mild flavor) which I precooked, discarding most of the fat before adding to the soup. Also, I added kale for color. Thank you Diva for posting - I'm looking forward to checking out more of your recipes.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced and halved
- 1 celery rib, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups chopped cabbage, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb smoked kielbasa or 1⁄2 lb Polish sausage, halved and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 (15 ounce) can white kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- fresh parsley, Minced
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 3-qt. saucepan, saute onion in oil and butter until tender.
- Add carrots and celery; saute for 3 minutes. Add caraway; cook and stir 1 minute longer. Add water, cabbage, sausage, tomatoes and brown sugar; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add beans, vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 5-10 minutes or until heated through.
- Sprinkle with parsley.
- Yield: 6 servings.