Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe is from www.marthawhite.com
- 1 lb bulk pork sausage
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 (6 ounce) packages cornbread mix (Martha White Cotton Pickin)
- 1 1⁄3 cups milk
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 4 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In 10-inch cast iron or ovenproof skillet, cook sausage, onion and bell pepper over medium heat until sausage is thoroughly cooked and vegetables are tender.
- Remove mixture from skillet. Drain.
- Wipe skillet clean with paper towel; spray skillet with nonstick cooking spray.
- In medium bowl, combine cornbread mix and milk; stir until smooth.
- Pour half of batter into sprayed skillet. Spoon sausage mixture over batter.
- Pour beaten eggs over sausage.
- Sprinkle cheese over eggs.
- Spoon remaining batter over cheese.
- Bake at 400 degrees F. for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown and set.
This is delicious! It's almost like a breakfast pot pie. Since I only had one 8 oz. box of cornbread mix, I used that with 1 cup of buttermilk (had to use it up). I followed the rest of your directions exactly and baked it in my cast iron skillet. I love how the crunchy crust covered both top and bottom. It was a perfect weekend brunch and everyone loved it. Thank you SouthernBell for a new favorite!