Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
You can use 4 cups fresh cooked broccoli florets for this in place of frozen. This makes a great evening meal also!
Top Review by Hill Family
We really enjoyed this for dinner. It was a bit wet in the bottom but I think DH added frozen broccoli instead of thawing it. We made a few changes based on what we had. We used 1 lb of sausage and 12 oz of broccoli. The only change I would make would be to add green onion either in addition to regular onion or in lieu of. I also didn't have any cayenne or tomatoes. The dish was great without and I can't wait to try it with them.
- 3⁄4 lb pork sausage, casings removed (or use Italian sausages, can use more)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic (optional or to taste)
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen broccoli florets, thawed
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded old cheddar cheese (can use a little more)
- 8 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1⁄4 cup half-and-half cream (or milk)
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon seasoning salt (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
- 2 plum tomatoes, thinly sliced
- shredded cheese, for topping
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter an 11 x 7-inch baking dish.
- in a skillet cook the sausage meat with onions and garlic until the meat is browned; drain fat and place in a large bowl to cool slightly.
- To the bowl add in frozen thawed broccoli and 1 cup cheddar cheese; pour the mixture into prepared baking dish.
- in a bowl whisk eggs with 1/2 cup cheese, ricotta cheese, half and half cream, cayenne, seasoned salt and black pepper; pour over the broccoli in the baking dish.
- Sprinkle with grated cheddar cheese (any amount desired) then arrange tomato slices on top.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- uncover and continue baking for 10-15 minutes more.
- Let satnd for 10 minutes before serving.