Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is great for a winter dinner when having guests.
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage (or turkey sausage)
- 1 1⁄2 bunches broccoli rabe, trimmed and washed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 large ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil (with skin)
- 1⁄4-3⁄8 cup butter
- 1 lb ziti pasta or 1 lb rigatoni pasta, cooked al dente
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- Steam broccoli rabe just until it's cooked but still firm - drain well. Boil sausage to get rid of most of the grease, drain well and cut into bite size pieces. Heat olive oil in large skillet and sauté cooked sausage until browned - remove and set aside. Add onions, shallots and garlic to the same skillet and sauté until cooked through. Add broccoli rabe and sauté for about three minutes, then add sausage, sauté another 2 minutes. Add chopped tomatoes and cook until tomatoes soften and begin to form a sauce - add butter and simmer 'til butter is melted. Pour over cooked pasta and toss. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.