Prep 35 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is great for a light dinner or a weekend brunch! You can use the small breakfast pork sausages in place of the Italian sausages if you are making this for brunch, also a 10-ounce package frozen broccoli cuts, thawed may be subbed for the fresh broccoli.
- 3⁄4 lb Italian sausage, casings removed
- 3 green onions, chopped (or use a small yellow onion)
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets, cooked and drained
- 1 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded and divided
- 8 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- seasoning salt (or use white salt)
- black pepper
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 firm plum tomatoes, thinly sliced
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter an 11 x 7-inch baking dish or a medium-size oval casserole dish.
- In a skillet cook the sausage meat with onions over medium-high heat, stirring until the sausage is browned; drain fat and transfer to a large bowl.
- Add in cooked broccoli and 3/4 cup shredded cheese; toss to combine, transfer and spread into bottom of prepared baking dish.
- In another bowl combine the eggs with 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese, cayenne, ricotta cheese and milk, then season with salt and pepper; pour over the broccoli/sausage mixture.
- Sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese (or you can use cheddar in place of the Parmesan) then arrange the tomato slices over the top.
- Bake covered for about 30 minutes; remove from oven and uncover.
- Bake for another 15 minutes.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
I liked the smooth taste of the ricotta in this casserole. After resting for about 10 minutes, the casserole sliced very nicely and the pieces stayed together when lifted out of the pan.