Recipe by lauralie41
A quick and easy breakfast casserole that uses croutons so the bread is already cubed for you. This recipe is from my new favorite casserole cookbook.
Top Review by Susie D
What a great casserole! The mushroom soup topping adds a different spin to a strata. I used more homemade croutons as I had them on hand and only a pound of sausage and it worked out fine. The flavors were great just like this, but I can see adding whatever vegetables are on hand. Diced red peppers, fresh mushrooms, onions, spinach, or my family even suggested minced jalapenos. I served this as "breakfast for dinner" with fresh fruit cups. Thank you for sharing the recipe!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs bulk pork sausage or 1 1⁄2 lbs Italian sausage
- 2 1⁄2 cups seasoned croutons
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, 8 ounces shredded
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1⁄2 cup milk
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet cook sausage until brown, drain.
- Lightly grease a 3 quart rectangular baking dish and spread croutons evenly in bottom.
- Sprinkle 1 cup of shredded cheese over croutons and top with sausage.
- In a large bowl add 2 1/2 cups milk, eggs, and dry mustard. Whisk together well and carefully pour over layers in baking dish.
- In a small bowl combine cream of mushroom soup and 1/2 cup milk, whisk well and spoon evenly over mixture in baking dish.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill for 2 hours or overnight.
- Bake in a 325 degree oven, uncovered for 45 minutes.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake for approximately 5 to 10 minutes longer or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- Chill time is not included in prep and cooking time.