Prep 35 mins
Cook 50 mins
A quick and easy breakfast casserole that uses croutons so the bread is already cubed for you. This recipe is from my new favorite casserole cookbook.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs bulk pork sausage or 1 1⁄2 lbs Italian sausage
- 2 1⁄2 cups seasoned croutons
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, 8 ounces shredded
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- In a large skillet cook sausage until brown, drain.
- Lightly grease a 3 quart rectangular baking dish and spread croutons evenly in bottom.
- Sprinkle 1 cup of shredded cheese over croutons and top with sausage.
- In a large bowl add 2 1/2 cups milk, eggs, and dry mustard. Whisk together well and carefully pour over layers in baking dish.
- In a small bowl combine cream of mushroom soup and 1/2 cup milk, whisk well and spoon evenly over mixture in baking dish.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill for 2 hours or overnight.
- Bake in a 325 degree oven, uncovered for 45 minutes.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake for approximately 5 to 10 minutes longer or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- Chill time is not included in prep and cooking time.
What a great casserole! The mushroom soup topping adds a different spin to a strata. I used more homemade croutons as I had them on hand and only a pound of sausage and it worked out fine. The flavors were great just like this, but I can see adding whatever vegetables are on hand. Diced red peppers, fresh mushrooms, onions, spinach, or my family even suggested minced jalapenos. I served this as "breakfast for dinner" with fresh fruit cups. Thank you for sharing the recipe!
I made this for dinner last night, reduced to a single serving. That amount wanted 1/2 an egg. No way was I going to try to use half an egg so it got a whole one with no damage done. Also adapted for myself by using 2 Yve's brand veggie sausage patties (I love those!). It made an enjoyable dinner with a small fruit salad on the side. Thumbs up.
Very tasty. I made this for 'Make It Healthier' tag game. I used turkey Italian sausage, low fat cheddar cheese, skim milk, 98% fat free cream of mushroom soup. I also added 1/4 tsp. Penzey's pork chop seasoning for some added smokiness and 1/4 cayenne pepper for a bit of zip. I used 2 1/2 cups of milk, added the egg etc., but I also then mixed in the soup. I was concerned it would be too runny so I omitted the additional 1/2 cup milk. It turned out great. I used cornbread croutons for a bit of sweet to balance the zip. And I sauteed 1/2 cup of chopped green peppers which I sprinkled on top of the dish. This gave it a great flavor not to mention great color! Thanks for posting, Lauralie!