1/1 Photo of Sausage Bread Soup
2 hrs 5 mins
1 hr 45 mins
This is a delicious soup with smoky and lemony flavors, adapted from a Nick Stellino recipe. It is a little labor intensive, but worth it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1 celery rib, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/16 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained, reserve juices (or equivalent fresh)
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 4 cups loosely packed day old bread, 1-inch dice (sourdough gives the best flavor)
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can beef broth
- 5 ounces low-fat smoked sausage, cubed (or any low fat sausage)
- fresh grated parmesan cheese
- chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1In a large pot, saute onion in oil over medium-high heat for a few minutes.
- 2Add carrots, celery, garlic, and red pepper flakes, and continue to cook another few minutes.
- 3Add the drained tomatoes (reserve juices) and cook about 8-10 minutes more, stirring well.
- 4Add sugar and basil and cook 3 more minutes, stirring frequently.
- 5Add reserved juices from the tomatoes, bread, and broths. Bring to a boil, stirring well.
- 6Reduce heat and simmer for about 1 hour, stirring every 10 minutes to prevent soup from sticking to the bottom.
- 7Add sausage and cook for an additional 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes to prevent sticking.
- 8Taste for seasoning; add salt and pepper, if desired. Top with parmesan cheese and parsley, and serve.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sausage Bread Soup
Serving Size: 1 (553 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 337.5
- Calories from Fat 70
- Total Fat 7.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 11.4 mg
- Sodium 2922.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 52.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.2 g
- Sugars 14.9 g
- Protein 17.0 g