Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
My friend gave me this doggie recipe so I am not sure where it was sourced.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs sausage, skin removed
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 lb pizza dough or 1 lb bread dough
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 2 teaspoons parsley
- Note:I substitute drained cottage cheese for Mozzarella and parmesan.
- Cook sausage in frying pan and drain.
- In a large bowl, combine sausage, mozzarella, parmesan, 1 whole egg, and 1 egg white.
- Mix well.
- Add parsley, oregano and salt.
- Roll dough into a circle the size of a medium pizza.
- Spread sausage mixture on top and to within 1" of the edge.
- Roll up dough like a large jam roll or log cake shape, place on baking tray.
- Brush top lightly with beaten egg yolk.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes until golden brown.
- Let cool and slice in serving portions approxite to your"dog".
- Store in the fridge.
This recipe is right up my alley and even the dumbest of mutts couldn’t screw it up. The only problem is that (as the recipe is written) it is too pleasing to the nasal appendages of the female human in the house – as I was mixing it, she kept getting in my way and stealing some to “sample” it under the thinly disguised pretense that she was “checking to make sure that it was fit for canine consumption”. So next time I might try chopped liver instead of sausage – the smell of that stuff cooking will keep her at least a hundred feet away from the kitchen, and I like liver every bit as much as I do sausage. One benefit that is not noted in the instructions is that the individual slices freeze very well, so next time I’m going to make a much bigger batch and freeze a bunch of them. If I’m feeling generous, I might even share some with the boyz down the street at the fire hydrant! Oops, I almost forgot to mention that I rolled the pizza dough into an oblong shape instead of a circle so that all the finished slices would be more uniform in size. Woof!!!
All I can say is... FANTASTIC!!!... Thanks!!!!!