Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
From Taste of Home submitted by Beth Cholette.
- 2⁄3 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped red pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb smoked sausage, cut into 1/4 inch slices (Kielbasa)
- 16 ounces kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 16 ounces great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup instant brown rice
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- In a large skillet, saute the onion, green or red pepper and garlic in oil onion is crisp tender.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Pour into a greased 13x9 baking pan.
- Cover and bake at 350 for 15 minutes.
- Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender.
I made this recipe on " Super Bowl Sunday ( 2-7-10 ) ", for our dinner and to support the " New Orleans Saints ". As I was reading the recipe, I thought " With both brown sugar and corn syrup it's going to be really sweet ", but I went ahead and made the recipe as it was written. And to my pleasant surprise, it wasn't all that sweet at all. :) . As a matter of fact, it was very good and will be made again. Thanks for posting and, " Keep Smiling :) "